A student looks at an RSO’s table as he passes by during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Dive headfirst into alluring campus activities

By Meghan Lyons, Special Section's Editor August 19, 2020

If you have ever been on any of the tours at the University for prospective students, you are well aware of the general spiel the guides like to give: “There are so many clubs at UIUC, there is even...

Tables line the edges of walkways on the quad as students inquire about the many RSOs being represented during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Quad Day 2020 turns virtual: Use these tips to guide your search

By Zainab Qureshi, Longform Editor August 19, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic has undoubtedly thrown a wrench in everyone’s plans this year. Now, incoming freshmen must navigate their first year of college without the help of the traditional, in-person “Quad...

Students inspect the list of RSOs that are present during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Be intentional with your time, maximize college experience

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor August 19, 2020

Overcommitment is the classic quandary of the college freshman. At Quad Day, passionate RSO leaders give persuasive pitches for their organizations to fresh-faced passersby, and underclassmen eat it up. Some...

A representative for the Medlife RSO speaks with a prospective member during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Find your perfect pre-health RSO

By Shivali Shukla, Assistant Special Sections Editor August 19, 2020

From national fraternities to small, local philanthropic organizations, there are a wide variety of options when it comes to finding the perfect on-campus pre-health organization for you. If you’re looking...

The Alma Mater statue stands proudly with her arms spread wide on a summer day.

Help to prevent COVID-19 transmission on campus

By JJ Kim, Editor-in-Chief August 19, 2020

Look, I get it. You’ve been stuck at home since March and have been dreaming of going to the first party or block you can get to. Although I’d personally strongly advise against doing that, because...

An instructor leads a BeamWork class as part of CHAARG activities on Aug. 23, 2017. BeamWork helps develop strength of mind and body.

Three RSOs give students opportunities to stay fit on campus

By Gabby Hajduk, Sports Editor August 19, 2020

By now, you've probably heard of the ‘freshman 15,’ the phrase people use to reference freshmen gaining a lot of weight when they start college. The buffet-style dining halls and any possible food...

RSOs advertise their clubs to prospective members during Quad Day in August 2016.

University offers hundreds of RSOs, though it could always use more

By Jackson Janes, Assistant Sports Editor August 19, 2020

Staying active and involved on campus is one of the many important aspects of your college experience. RSOs, short for registered student organizations, are one of the ways to find people with common interests,...

Representatives from RSOs promote their organizations during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2017.

RSOs can help keep your mental health in check

By Carolina Garibay August 19, 2020

As the first day of classes approaches for University students, so might growing stress about how to navigate the upcoming semester. Students will have a majority of their courses online, and without in-person...

A representative for Illinois Business Consulting speaks with prospective members during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Build your own community through campus involvement

By Salem Isaf, Interim Editor-in-Chief August 19, 2020

The first and most important advice that I always give students who are about to begin college is to make sure you are as involved as you possibly can be throughout your time on campus. Normally, the perfect...

Students enrolled in a Statistics class listen attentively during a lecture at Lincoln Hall Theater on Dec. 3, 2019.

Student ambassadors offer unique spin on RSO experience

By Ava Traverso August 19, 2020

With Quad Day canceled and RSO interactions being limited due to the risk of COVID-19, returning and new students have to get creative when it comes to becoming more involved on campus. Though it may seem...

Students in the Orange Krush fan section cheer for the Illini basketball team during their match against Iowa on March 8 at State Farm Center. The Illini social media team is using social media to engage with fans.

Live each day like an Illini

By Shana Olivero, Video Editor August 19, 2020

The time has come. The past 18 years of your life have built up to this moment. You are finally an Illini. Now is the time to branch out and focus on what you really love to do. But what if you don’t...

Students learn about different RSOs and organizations to join during Quad Day on Aug. 26, 2018.

Look out for engineering RSOs this semester

By Rohit Jammu, Assistant Features Editor August 19, 2020

The fall semester of each school year at the University is always filled with excitement and bustling energy. For freshmen moving into their new dorm rooms, getting accustomed to various dining hall timings...

Load More Stories