Illinois football ramps up for start of 2023 regular season

Once the runaway favorites to sit atop the Big Ten West in 2022, with a 7-1 record in early November, Illinois football eventually lost its footing and sunk to an overall record of 8-4 that was topped off by a 19-10 loss in the ReliaQuest Bowl. This season, with the fifth most returning starters in the Big Ten and another year under head coach Bret Bielema’s belt, the Illini aim to replicate their legendary start while negating the rough finish.

When Ole Miss quarterback Luke Altmyer transferred to Illinois in late December, it looked like Illinois would be led by a first-year transfer for the second year in a row. After all, if last year proved anything it was that this method of quarterback acquisition is not a hindrance for the Illini. But just a few weeks out from the season opener, Bielema has no shortage of additional names that have stood out at the position, with improvement through a highly competitive position battle being a big advantage.

“Competition brings the best out of everybody,” Bielema said. “It’s been very apparent, the growth that Luke (Altmyer) has had. John Paddock and really Donovan Leary, and to a certain extent Kirkland Michaux, those four guys have been really, really impressive in fall camp. They haven’t done everything right, but they’ve done a lot of really good and they’re continuing to grow. The competition is very, very intense.” 

While the offense will most likely have a new signal caller, returning players on the other side of the ball will try to make Illinois’ defense as special as it was a year ago. Thankfully, Illinois’ headlining duo known as the “Law Firm,” junior defensive linemen Keith Randolph and Jer’Zhan Newton, are back to wreak havoc on opposing offensive lines and make the life of first-year defensive coordinator Aaron Henry that much easier. But as has quickly become the norm for Illinois under Bielema, there are a plethora of soon-to-be household names that have also been impressive so far. 

“Defensively, a lot of good players from a year ago, led up front by Keith (Randolph) and Johnny (Jer’Zhan Newton),” Bielema said. “I would say that it’s nice to have Bryce Barnes. Sed McConnell is another guy that has looked really good as we grow into that room. At the inside linebacker position, Tarique (Barnes) has been our guy. A two-year starter, has been very impressive, playing his best football since I’ve been around him. (Tarique Barnes) communicates very well, very intense, got a great voice, good leadership.” 

The final, and most certainly not least, aspect of Illinois in 2023 is its special teams. When the offense can’t quite get the job done, nights such as Illinois’ 9-6 victory over Iowa are especially representative of how important field goals, kickoffs and punts can be. With that game in mind, it’s no wonder the Illini saw significant improvements from those whose performance begins at the turf, highlighted by a versatile three level kicking threat. 

“In the kicking game, it’s been really good to see Caleb (Griffin) continue where he is, he’s actually punting for us as well,” Bielema said. “I’m gonna give Caleb the chance to be a starter in all three phases: field goal, kickoff and punt. Hugh Robertson has continued to be pretty good, Brizi’s (Fabrizio Pinton) done a nice job in both games as well and obviously the two freshmen Declan Duley and David Olano have been pretty impressive.”

@blountco21